The Recovery Inc. of Kentucky program teaches us that our thoughts can be changed. Secure thoughts allow us to be in control of our health. Our feelings follow our thoughts, so spotting insecure thoughts prevents unpleasant feelings and symptoms, often including anxiety and distress. Once we have developed symptoms, we can learn to spot the trigger and rethink our response to it.
Our program presents simple rules and tools that help us mange how we respond to difficult, (tense-producing) situations. These rules teach us how to spot and change insecure thoughts that produce symptoms to secure ones, which produces calmness, clear-thinking, and a decrease or elimination of uncomfortable symptoms and feelings. Below are some of them. We explore these rules as well as others and help your apply them to your individual situations.
- IF YOU CAN’T CHANGE A SITUATION, YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT THE SITUATION
- CALM BEGETS CALM
- MENTAL HEALTH IS OUR SUPREME GOAL
- FEELINGS RISE AND FALL
- FEELINGS ARE NOT FACTS. OUR FEELINGS LIE TO US
- DO THINGS IN PARTIAL ACTS (MANAGEABLE UNITS)
- THERE IS NO RIGHT OR WRONG IN DOMESTIC AFFAIRS, ONLY PEACE, FOR YOUR HEALTH’S SAKE
- CHOOSE TO BE GROUP-MINDED, RATHER THAN SELF-MINDED
- SYMPTOMS OF ANXIETY ARE DISTRESSING BUT NOT DANGEROUS
- BE WILLING TO BEAR THE DISCOMFORT UNTIL SYMPTOMS HAVE RUN THEIR COURSE
- EXPRESS YOUR FEELINGS WITHOUT TEMPER
- SPOT EXCEPTIONALITY. TRY TO BE AVERAGE
Our program is based on the principles of self-help cognitive behavioral therapy.
It may be saying too much to say Recovery saved my marriage, but it certainly made one husband a whole lot happier.”